Just turned 33, like 5 hours ago, and figure, a blog is to get stuff out of your head. I should get back to this. Not what it use to be. New state. Same husband, but a New beginning. Wish me luck.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

makin' our house a home

For the past few weeks we have been trying to make our house a home. We planted a new garden, we repainted our dining room, added a little flavor. We would love to re-do our stairs, but finding a contractor seems impossible. We are getting a new front door later this week and we are getting rid of our couch and comfy chairs. Then we will get our carpets cleaned or replaced. After that all new furniture for the living room. The kitchen, was not on the list...until the other day. Ya see, we don't have a lot of counter space, pretty much no counter space. The microwave takes up nearly one whole counter and when we do the dishes, no dishwasher, they need to dry on the other counter.

Well, the other morning I had just done the dishes and I felt the need for an English Muffin. So, I used the little space that is in front of the microwave to set up the toaster oven. It fits, it's not a perfect fit, but it works. I wanted to make my version of an Egg Mcmuffin, I had a hard boiled egg, my slice of ham and my wrapped cheese slice. The cheese was a bit cold so I placed it on top of the toaster oven while my muffin cooked. It started to let off a bit of a scent, melting plastic, I figured I better take the slice off the toaster. It was still a little hard and cold so I just flipped it over. The smell went away, I figured I'd fixed the problem. My muffin was toasted so I began to make my sandwich. Once I was done, I thought, let me just put this thing away now.

As, I go to pick the toaster oven up it's kinda stuck. I figured, hmm, maybe I should not grab this hot toaster oven with my fingers, let me get the oven mitts. Well, then I tried again and it really was stuck. I'm thinkin What the hell?! Then I realize that "Oh Shit!", it's stuck to the microwave! Hubby's going to kick my arse! I'm freakin out, I don't know what to do, I start pulling the toaster oven in a frantic state hoping that I haven't completely ruined the microwave. Or even that, I can get away with Hubby not even noticing (Yeah Right). I couldn't think of what to do. I tried to pull again and the door of the microwave on the hinge side, nearly comes off, OH Shit!. Ok, don't do that again. All I could think of is cold water, maybe if I get cold water it will stop the melting and I can pull the toaster oven away without any damage. So, I grab a clean glass filled it with cold water and poured it in between the mircowave and the toaster oven being careful not to get in inside or near anything electric like. Believe it or not, it didn't work. Maybe the water wasn't cold enough. Yeah right, what the hell was I thinking pouring water on two electrical appliances?! I know , I know, but I didn't want to get caught. I felt like a little kid that had just broken the vase and wanted to blame it on the dog. I had no dog to blame. And, I don't think my cat Guinness would take the blame for this one. I asked.

Finally, after all the pulling and all the water, I got them to release one another. I put the toaster oven away, it had a little melted white on the back, but no real damage. The microwave on the other hand, Oh Crap, Hubby is definately going to notice this one! It's melted, not to the point where we can't use it, but to the point of where it's ugly. It's no longer white, more of a yellowish brown and crispy. It doesn't make for a complete kitchen makeover, but it's where it begins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home